Monday, June 11, 2007

Grading the Tony Awards.

...or at least, the performances. The show itself gets an F for the abomination that was Best Lead Actor in a Musical (why did that have to be the upset???), obviously.

110 in the Shade - Audra McDonald is a goddess. I almost bought tickets to this...but I'm going to Spain in the fall and I really need to save my money. I'm kind of glad I didn't buy the tickets. Audra was fantastic and I heart me some John Cullum, but the song was really bad. Still, since it was all about Audra... B-

A Chorus Line - I wish they were actually singing, and it's not like they were SPECTACULAR, but they were pretty great. I adore this show. B+

Company - I love Raul, but it was bullshit that NOBODY else was on stage with him. That said, except for "MOCK ME WITH PRAISE!!!!" which was a little "okay, you like to emphasize that line. we get it," he was masterful, of course (and even the "mock me" can be excused because that auditorium is FUHREAKING HUGE and the TV cameras were placed about 2 inches from his face). I hope the Tony voters feel really, really stupid after that. B+

Curtains - Uh, well...shrug. People are saying the choreography should have won? Oh my goodness NO. It consisted of everyone standing in a semi-circle around David Hyde Pierce (GRRRRR.), and then when they had random lines, they would step out and say something. The song was dull. I love David Hyde Pierce, but just to reiterate: HE SHOULDN'T HAVE WON A TONY. C-

Fantasia (from The Color Purple) - Damn, bitch can sing. Her acting was pretty good, too, but I can see why Jennifer Hudson was Effie and not her. B

Grey Gardens - Zzz. Zzz. Why is everyone going crazy for this show? I can't say I've seen it but if that's what Ebersole is like, errr, Audra or Donna any day. D+

Jersey Boys - *shrug* I looove this show, so it was good to see them there. That said...I'm not really sure why they were there, and the dancing of one of them was REALLY off. But they sounded great, and I just think they're fantastic. B/B-

Mary Poppins - Boring and totally forgettable. Whoever plays Mary Poppins is awful. Why was there a creepy (faux) naked guy dancing with a little boy? Ugh. D

Spring Awakening - At least it was energetic, but I hate every song except "The Bitch of Living." Also, the dancing of one of the girls was WAYYYY OTT. Also also (heh?), what was the point of singing "Totally Fucked" if you couldn't say "fucked"? We get it, your show is edgy, but you already proved that with the far superior "Bitch of Living." And dude, your show has the lyrics "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah." The Tony-winning lyrics "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah." C