Monday, May 07, 2007

Oscar winners from the '90s and beyond...

ouch


...who don't make my acting lineups for that year in their respective categories. Sometimes, it's because it was a fantastic year in that category and while they may have been incredible, I just don't have room for them (Mirren '06). Sometimes, it's cuz they blew hard (Connelly '01). Of course, to further procrastinate, I've included handy-dandy notes.

Best Actor
1992: Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman (horrendous. I love the Pach, but this is one of the worst Oscar wins ever. Ugh. What a joke. I like to pretend this is for his superb work in Glengarry Glen Ross the same year...shh, let me pretend)
1993: Tom Hanks in Philadelphia (I adore this performance but it is a very crowded year)
1998: Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful (almost ruined the film. Another horrendous win)
2002: Adrien Brody in The Pianist (not offensive like Pacino or Benigni, but not great either. Probably the worst in his category, and so far below Cage, Day-Lewis, and Nicholson that it's not even funny.)
2005: Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote (fantastic but no room in a crowded year)

Best Actress
1994: Jessica Lange in Blue Sky (a joke, and an awful win)
1995: Susan Sarandon in Dead Man Walking (I will admit to not being as big a fan of this performance as others. I do like it, however, but I have no room for it. '95 rocks in terms of actresses)
1997: Helen Hunt in As Good as It Gets (I do not find this the "worst Best Actress win ever" like it was recently voted. In fact, it's quite a great comedic performance. But 1997 is very crowded, and at least eight others TOWER over her)
2000: Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich (Quite good, just misses my lineup)
2001: Halle Berry in Monster's Ball (Not "an abortion" like some have called it, but least of the nominees. Nowhere near my lineup.)
2002: Nicole Kidman in The Hours (great and just misses my lineup, but probably the least great of her works in that fantastic 01-04 period of hers)
2004: Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby (great, but the year is incredibly high in quality and she isn't really anywhere near my lineup)
2006: Helen Mirren in The Queen (amazing in an UNBELIEVABLE year)

Best Supporting Actor
1991: Jack Palance in City Slickers (or, I dunno. I might nominate him. This year, in this category, is EMPTY.)
1992: Gene Hackman in Unforgiven (only if I count the Glengarry boys as individual units instead of tying them all for first...at any rate, great performance)
1993: Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive (yeah I don't know what they were thinking there)
1996: Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire (ditto?)
1997: Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting (not bad. Not anywhere near my lineup.)
1998: James Coburn in Affliction (see above...but slightly closer to my lineup)
1999: Michael Caine in The Cider House Rules (not bad, but well below his other nominees. However, I adore his speech from this year!)
2001: Jim Broadbent in Iris (I love him, and he makes it for Moulin Rouge!)
2005: George Clooney in Syriana (good, but not quite Oscar-worthy)
2006: Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine (just...wha? He was only like the third-best male supporting role in his own movie.)

Best Supporting Actress
1996: Juliette Binoche in The English Patient (great, and I have McDormand in Supporting because I'm weird like that...Binoche is my #6 so if I ever put McDormand in lead she'll be on the list. Great performance)
1997: Kim Basinger in L.A. Confidential (great...but there were five greater)
1999: Angelina Jolie in Girl Interrupted (not very good)
2000: Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock (NONE of the nominees this year would make my lineup. Harden comes closest, I think. Pretty good.)
2001: Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind (sucked. big. time.)
2004: Cate Blanchett in The Aviator (not more than mediocre, in a year very weak in this category she comes nowhere near it for me)

that's all?