Sunday, December 27, 2009

since this is (supposedly) a movie blog

Not that Moviefone is great, but here's an interesting list.

TOP TEN SUPPORTING ACTOR PERFORMANCES
10. Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder
I thought he was hilarious. He didn't deserve the Oscar exactly, but he was basically the only reason to watch that movie after the first hour or so.
9. John Travolta, Hairspray
GOD NO. He was really awful. And terrifying.
8. Rip Torn, Dodgeball
Heh, I love this movie, and he's hilarious, but there are a number of other, better choices for this spot.
7. Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby
I'm not so sure I would put him this high but sure. He was terrific.
6. Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children
There was something about this performance I wasn't crazy about, if I'm remembering correctly. But again, it's not a bad choice.
5. Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Hell yes. This movie is what, two years old?, and this performance already became iconic.
4. Ben Kingsley, Sexy Beast
Again, hell yes. I'm glad people are acknowledging this performance, as it's absolutely terrific but in a small movie that not many people saw from the beginning of the decade.
3. Thomas Haden Church, Sideways
Yup. The acting was really superlative in this movie.
2. Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton
I'm not sure I'd put him this high, but he was great. Again, another movie with really awesome acting.
1. Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Yup yup yup. Even if not for his tragic death, this would still be one of the best performances ever, really. He was so damn good.

TOP TEN SUPPORTING ACTRESS PERFORMANCES
10. Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Oh hey I thought everyone hated this performance now? I loved it. That girl can act with her voice like no other. Does that make sense? Eh.
9. Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
I'm not sure I'd put her so high, but I really liked her. It's also funny to see her on The Office after this.
8. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago
YES. I LOVE HER HERE. She'd probably be in my top five supporting actress performances this decade. It was just a balls-out performance. Uh, figuratively speaking, of course.
7. Leslie Mann, Knocked Up
I've come full circle on this movie because now, I totally love it, and I love her in it. There's one line that she delivers that is PRICELESS but I can't think of it now. Grrrr.
6. Mo'Nique, Precious
Haven't seen it.
5. Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Y'all know I think she's crazy overrated but I liked her a lot in this movie.
4. Sophie Okenedo, Hotel Rwanda
I liked her a lot in this movie, but she's way too high here. She wasn't that great, though she was very good.
3. Adriana Barraza, Babel
Yay. She was terrific and Rinko Kikuchi sucked. Hey, remember when Babel was gonna make these two BREAKOUT STARS? And then they were never heard from again? Awesome
2. Frances McDormand, Almost Famous
???? She should not be this high. She was good and all, but I don't even remember her in it.
1. Catherine O'Hara, For Your Consideration
??!?!?!?!? Yeah, she was hilarious, but this is a no for #1. And GOD this movie was so, so bad. Christopher Guest, I am severely disappointed.

TOP TEN LEAD ACTRESS PERFORMANCES
10. Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
She was insanely good in this, yup.
9. Ellen Page, Juno
I'm not sure if she'd be in my top ten, but she really was awesome. I don't think this was an easy role to pull off without coming off as ridiculous, but she did it. She was the heart and soul of this movie and the main reason why it ultimately succeeded.
8. Sienna Miller, Interview
Oh God I love you for including her here. SO GREAT and nobody saw it.
7. Nicole Kidman, Dogville
Ditto.
6. Penelope Cruz, Volver
This performance is really overrated. Good, not great.
5. Charlize Theron, Monster
I'm not sure I would have her SO high on this list, but she was excellent.
4. Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Abso-friggin'-lutely.
3. Samantha Morton, Minority Report
I love this guy for including Samantha Morton in anything, but this was a supporting role. And she was even better in Morvern Callar the same year as this movie.
2. Julie Christie, Away from Her
I'm not sure she should be this high but at least it's not Marion Cotillard.
1. Diane Lane, Unfaithful
She's way too high, but this performance was just awesome.

TOP TEN LEAD ACTOR PERFORMANCES
10. Denzel Washington, Training Day
He was so awesome in this, and totally against character. He's really the only reason to watch this movie.
9. Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I wouldn't put him this high but I fully approve any support of ESotSM, woot.
8. Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino
I don't even remember if I saw Gran Torino or not. It didn't look very good. And heh, if I did see it, I obviously don't remember it.
7. Sean Penn, Mystic River
He was awesome, but he was in no way better than Bill Murray that year. Who does not appear on this list. Boooooo
6. Benicio del Toro, Things We Lost in the Fire
Didn't see it, but I appreciate that whoever did this list is going for some more obscure performances that were really good (Miller, Kidman).
5. Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
Yes. So so so good.
4. Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean
Sigh. No.
3. Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises
Remember that naked wrestling scene? That was awesome. So was he (though I liked him better in A History of Violence).
2. Forest Whitaker, Last King of Scotland
He was awesome here. #2 of the decade, I dunno, but he was just so great.
1. George Clooney, O Brother, Where Art Thou?
#1? Uhhh that'd be a no. But I love the Cloons.

I may do my own list of these, keeping in mind that I feel like I haven't seen bupkiss from the past two years.