Sunday, January 14, 2007

Golden Globes predictions

Best Picture - Drama
Nominees: Babel, Bobby, The Departed, Little Children, The Queen
My grades for each: (in order) B-, C-, A+, B+, C
Should win: The Departed. It's only the best film of the year. I also enjoyed Little Children. The rest of this category...eh. Musical/Comedy is actually better.
Will win: Hopefully, The Departed.
Spoiler: The Queen. I'll hiss and boo, but it could happen. Or, possibly, Babel, just for the large amounts of nominations.

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy
Nominees: Borat, The Devil Wears Prada, Dreamgirls, Little Miss Sunshine, Thank You for Smoking
My grades for each: A, B, A, B+, B-
Should win: Dreamgirls. I just love it. But I love Borat and Little Miss Sunshine too, and The Devil Wears Prada is great as well.
Will win: Dreamgirls. Uh...yeah. People are like "it's getting backlash!" and "it's not ALL THAT well-reviewed!!!" but the same could be said for Chicago.
Spoiler: Little Miss Sunshine. If it does win, I will finally accept that it is an Oscar contender.

Best Director
Nominees: Eastwood x2 (Flags and Letters), Frears, Iñárritu, Scorsese
Grades for each movie: C+ (Flags), A- (Letters), C, B-, A+
Should win: Scorsese!!!
Will win: Scorsese. Thank. The. Lord.
Spoiler: Um... if Babel goes over really really well, Iñárritu has a teeny chance of winning. Still.

Best Actor - Drama
Nominees: DiCaprio x2 (Blood Diamond and Departed), O'Toole, Smith, Whittaker
My ranking: DiCaprio Departed, Whittaker, O'Toole, Smith, DiCaprio Blood Diamond
Should win: DiCaprio in The Departed but they're all worthy candidates.
Will win: Whittaker, but I still don't feel he can beat O'Toole at the Oscars.
Spoiler: O'Toole. He still might win. It's close. If he wins here, he's definitely getting the Oscar.

Best Actor - Musical/Comedy
Nominees: Cohen, Depp, Eckhart, Ejiofor, Ferrell
My ranking: Cohen, Eckhart, Ferrell, Ejiofor, Depp
Should win: COHEN!! One of the funniest performances ever!
Will win: Cohen!
Spoiler: Depp, if only for the large number of nominations they gave him without a win. But, you know, HE'S NEVER DESERVED A WIN. He's hardly ever deserved a nomination. God I hate Johnny Depp.

Best Actress - Drama
Nominees: Cruz, Dench, Gyllenhaal, Mirren, Winslet
My ranking: Dench, Winslet, Cruz, Mirren, Gyllenhaal...but this is by far the best category. They're all excellent.
Should win: Dench...it's her best performance ever and easily one of the best of the year. She's just stunning!
Will win: Mirren. Um, duh.
Spoiler: ...unless Mirren peaked too soon, like, I dunno, Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman in 2002, and they want to give it to Winslet because, you know. Bitch deserves an Oscar or five.

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy
Nominees: Bening, Collette, Knowles, Streep, Zellweger
My ranking: Streep, Collette, Knowles, Zellweger, Bening
Should win: Uh, STREEP MUCH???
Will win: Meryl.
Spoiler: They could honor Bening because her husband is recieving the memorial award tomorrow night as well. If this is the case, I will scream.

Best Supporting Actor
Nominees: Affleck, Murphy, Nicholson, Pitt, Wahlberg
My ranking: Murphy, Nicholson, Affleck, Pitt, Wahlberg
Should win: Nicholson and Murphy, both superb.
Will win: I'm going with Murphy.
Spoiler: But if either Pitt or Nicholson win, they're taking the Oscar, I think. Pitt for the Clooney factor, and Nicholson because the Academy will love making history.

Best Supporting Actress
Nominees: Barraza, Blanchett, Blunt, Hudson, Kikuchi
My ranking: HUDSON, Kikuchi, Barraza, Blunt/Blanchett
Should win: Uh, Hudson much?!?
Will win: Hudson. Hudson, Hudson, Hudson.
Spoiler: Blanchett, but I am telling you, Hudson's winning the Oscar no matter what. (HA.)

Best Screenplay
Nominees: Babel, The Departed, Little Children, Notes on a Scandal, The Queen
My ranking: Departed, Little Children, Notes on a Scandal, The Queen, Babel
Should win: The Departed
Will win: The Queen. Siiiiigh
Spoiler: The Departed or, if it's really popular, Babel.

Best Foreign Film
Nominees: Apocalypto, Letters from Two Jima, The Lives of Others, Pan's Labyrinth, Volver
My ranking: Volver, Letters, Pan's, Apocalypto, haven't seen Lives. The first three are GREAT.
Will win: Letters from Two JIma
Spoiler: Pan's, which still has a pretty good shot of winning.


TV and music and stuff I don't really feel like doing. Go anything that's not Desperate Housewives.