Friday, July 20, 2007

July awards


So the boyf is one of those guys that sees most movies, even the small and "insignificant" indie ones (and errr. sometimes he downloads them. don't look at him like that!). At his place, I was able to see the 14080846086 movies I've missed so far this year. Hooray. Major nominations at this point in time:

Best Picture
Breaking and Entering
Grindhouse
Jindabyne
Ratatouille *
Zodiac

Have I mentioned that Ratatouille is awesome yet? RATATOUILLE IS AWESOME. The rest of the movies are pretty damn good too.


Best Director
everyone, Grindhouse * (I miiiight need to split this up. It's not really fair. =/)
David Fincher, Zodiac
William Friedkin, Bug
Anthony Minghella, Breaking and Entering
Sarah Polley, The Sweet Hereafter

Yeah, I really need to split up the Grindhouse directors.


Best Actor
Steve Buscemi, Interview
Chris Cooper, Breach
Jude Law, Breaking and Entering *
Ulrich Muhe, The Lives of Others
Gordon Pinsent, Away from Her

I know, like half these guys are "technically" 2006...


Best Actress
Julie Christie, Away from Her *
Marion Cotillard, La vie en rose
Ashley Judd, Bug
Laura Linney, Jindabyne
Sienna Miller, Factory Girl/Interview

A lineup of OWNAGE. It looks like another good year for actresses - I already have 13 that are worthy of consideration! I consolidated Miller's performances, which I never do, because I didn't want to kick Judd out cuz she was so damn good. Speaking of Sienna, when the hell did she turn into an awesome actress?! If this lineup stays the same at the end of the year, I'll be pretty darn happy (so basically, it can only get better). Cotillard was indeed great, but she is highly overrated.


Best Supporting Actor
John Carroll Lynch, Zodiac
Jeff Daniels, The Lookout
Robert Downey Jr., Zodiac
Jeremy Piven, Smokin' Aces *
Paul Rudd, Knocked Up

empty lolz. Yes, I'm serious about Piven (he's awesome, but if that's the best we get by the end of the year...well. Oh, and Robert Downey Jr. is officially in my Fairly Holy Quadrangle of Awesome [him, Bill Murray, Alan Rickman, Bruce Campbell]).


Best Supporting Actress
Rosario Dawson, Grindhouse (Death Proof)
Deborra-Lee Furness, Jindabyne *
Leslie Mann, Knocked Up
Imelda Staunton, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Kerry Washington, I Think I Love My Life

Go see Jindabyne now. SO GOOD. Ms. Hugh Jackman really proves herself ;) At least two of the others are just fantastic too, but two of the others I fully expect/hope to be gone by the end of the year.