Monday, July 23, 2007

OMG!


So Hairspray may have started out the year as one of my least anticipated movies, but once again I shall admit defeat. It's totally fun. I think a lot of that fun, however, comes from the source material; the set designers really could have used more flash, glitter, and SHINY NEON COLORS!!!!! (yeah, I know, most of it took place in '60s Baltimore, but even the set of the Corny Collins Show was rather dull), and the movie could have been more campy overall. Still, it's just so much fun (how many times have I said "fun" here) that you're willing to overlook its flaws. The movie is definitely more than worth your time, and it's just nice to see a musical that's just willing to revel in itself, instead of desperately clutching for Oscars (I liked Dreamgirls a lot and all, but...). B+

PS: Zac Efron surprised me by not sucking!