Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tony nomination reactions.

Best Play
August: Osage County
Rock 'N Roll
The Seafarer
The 39 Steps

August has this all wrapped up.


Best Musical
Cry-Baby
In the Heights
Passing Strange
Xanadu

To be fair, Xanadu is a ton of fun. It's kinda schadenfreuden-ly good to see Young Frankenstein get snubbed after what a terrible disappointment it was and Mel Brooks' obnoxiousness (though I love him) in promoting it. I've heard In the Heights is "the new Rent!", which is, of course, what we all heard about Spring Awakening last year.


Best Revival of a Play
Boeing-Boeing
The Homecoming
Les Liai -
ah, fuck it. Dangerous Liaisons
Macbeth

Apparently Macbeth rocks. But Dangerous Liaisons has Laura Linney...


Best Revival of a Musical
Grease
Gypsy
South Pacific
Sunday in the Park with George

I've heard amazing things about the last three, and I've heard that Grease is beyond horrendous. I'm seeing Sunday soon, so I'll report back, and I hope to catch Gypsy.


Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play
Ben Daniels :: Dangerous Liaisons
Laurence Fishburne :: Thurgood
Mark Rylance :: Boeing-Boeing
Rufus Sewell :: Rock 'N' Roll
Patrick Stewart :: Macbeth

Again, what I've heard about all these guys is just great.


Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play
Eve Best :: The Homecoming
Deanna Dunagan :: August: Osage County
Kate Fleetwood :: Macbeth
S. Epatha Merkerson :: Come Back, Little Sheba
Amy Morton :: August: Osage County

Yes, I've heard Dunagan, Morton, and Fleetwood are outstanding. You know who else I heard is outstanding, and I certainly believe it, and I will be running out to catch her play ASAP? LAURA LINNEY. I repeat: THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS DON'T KNOW HOW TO ACT.


Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play
Bobby Cannavale :: Mauritius
Raul Esparza :: The Homecoming
Conleth Hill :: The Seafarer
Jim Norton :: The Seafarer
David Pittu :: Is He Dead?

Lord knows I love me some Raul Esparza. After being quite tragically robbed last year, I'm hoping he wins it here. Though, I've got no idea who's "supposed" to win. Bobby Cannavale is hot.


Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play
Sinead Cusack :: Rock 'N' Roll
Mary McCormack :: Boeing-Boeing
Laurie Metcalf :: November
Martha Plimpton :: Top Girls
Rondi Reed :: August: Osage County

The Osage County chick will probably win. Top Girls is an absolutely fascinating play... I don't know if it's any good play-wise (it's so weird, and I don't know if it ever really makes any sort of statement...), but it's totally bizarre.


Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical
Daniel Evans :: Sunday in the Park with George
Lin-Manuel Miranda :: In the Heights
Stew :: Passing Strange
Paulo Szot :: South Pacific
Tom Wopat :: A Catered Affair

Stew? Is that like, his entire name? Szot is a weird name too, but at least he's got an actual first and last name. I heard A Catered Affair is awful.


Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical
Kerry Butler :: Xanadu
Patti LuPone :: Gypsy
Kelli O'Hara :: South Pacific
Faith Prince :: A Catered Affair
Jenna Russell :: Sunday in the Park with George

I can't stand Kelli O'Hara. She's like a vacant wind-up doll that stands there and sings and looks pretty when you want her to, but who can't really act. Hopefully, and I am under this impression from reading around and stuff, my personal goddess LA LUPONE has this mofo.


Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical
Daniel Breaker :: Passing Strange
Danny Burstein :: South Pacific
Robin De Jesus :: In the Heights
Christopher Fitzgerald :: Young Frankenstein
Boyd Gaines :: Gypsy

Sure. Fitzgerald was good.


Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical
de'Adre Aziza :: Passing Strange
Laura Benanti :: Gypsy
Andrea Martin :: Young Frankenstein
Olga Merediz :: In the Heights
Loretta Ables Sayre :: South Pacific

Martin was good, but I love Laura Benanti, and by all accounts she's quite spectacular in Gypsy. Hopefully, it can capture both "Actress in a Musical" categories :)

Dude. It took THIS LONG to get Sondheim an honorary Tony for lifetime achievement in the theater? THAT AIN'T RIGHT. You know what else ain't right? SNUBBING LAURA LINNEY. THOSE FUCKERS.