Saturday, September 19, 2009

Project Runway Season 6, final collections.

So since the show has been shelved for like 85 years, the collections of the three finalists, whoever they are, have been around forever. When I have an opportunity, I'll be talking about them here.

Keep in mind that according to rumors/spoilers, the three finalists are once again all women, and two are blonde. I think Carol Hannah and Gordana are blonde, but I can't think of any other blonde women right now, though there may be. If three women are finalists, I wish both Irina and Shirin could be there, because they seem like the best designers right now, along with Christopher.

ETA: Well, here I go.

COLLECTION 1
Outfit 1: Ummm... it's okay. It definitely doesn't blow me away, which the first look is supposed to do. I appreciate the fact that it looks like a more fashionable version of casual clothes, but nothing here is flattering, and I suspect the giant knitted thing is hiding a really unflattering top and pants. It's got an edge, it's just... eh.
Outfit 2: Erm... yeah. it's just kind of there. It's a black dress that's not very flattering. It may have some interesting details at the neckline/bust, but I can't quite make them out, unfortunately. As a note for this collection as a whole, I do like the headbands. I think they tie the collection together to give them this youthful, sporty vibe, which the designer was pretty clearly trying for.
Outfit 3: This is okay. I'm not sure what the pants are made of, and I have the feeling that I need to see them in movement to see if they're flattering or not. At this point, I'm gonna say... not. This outfit is cute, but pedestrian.
Outfit 4: Not crazy about that shirt at all. Yeah, it's probably a pattern or something, but it looks like she spilled grease on it. Those pants are horribly unflattering, too. Like, if they're not flattering on this skinny-ass model, they're not going to be flattering on anyone else, so they were just a terrible idea overall.
Outfit 5: It's... cute. That's about all there is to say. Why does that model look bulgy? I'll blame it on the sash around the waist. And those are the wrong shoes.
Outfit 6: This is probably my favorite outfit in the whole collection, not that that's really saying much because this collection is kind of blah. I could never pull off this look, but it's very fashionable and I am always a sucker for long shirt type things over leggings. Not crazy about the cleavage, not 'cuz I'm a ~prude but because I don't see it working here very well.
Outfit 7: This model looks like Katarzyna from America's Next Top Model, but I'm like 95% sure it's not. Anyway, I don't like the top very much. Again, it looks like she spilled something on it and now it's covered in stains. The gloves are weird, too... but the pants, for what they are, are actually pretty well-made and a good look. They might be the best single piece there.
Outfit 8: I hate those kind of tops, but that one's nicely made, at least. I'm not sure how much the skirt goes, though. It's just a little too short and tight, though the top helps in not making her look, uh, whorish. I'm not crazy about those shoes.
Outfit 9: From what I can see of that dress, it looks really cheap, especially the way that hem rides up. The ribbon is just kind of silly. The jacket, for what it is, is nicely made, but there's something I don't like in the design, exactly.
Outfit 10: It's okay. The color contrast is nice, but I don't like all the pulling and once again, the lame and limp little bow isn't doing anything for me here.
Outfit 11: I fucking love Jaslene. Anyway, this dress is not working for me. It's got some interest with the draping or whatever, but it's just so nothing. Like I said, I normally like the styling of these models with the headbands, but this struck me as way too Flashdance somehow.
Outfit 12: This doesn't work for me, either. The fit is all wrong and the weird draping doesn't work and isn't flattering. Too bad, because I see the idea behind it and I like that.
Outfit 13: Eeek, no! I see how it's a closing look because it's definitely the most dramatic of these looks, but the fabric is all wrong, it's an unflattering dress, it's in a bad color, and those belts officially piss me off because they're just hanging there with no purpose.
OVERALL: I like how cohesive this collection is, the styling - which could have been weird - really works, and I love the whole fashionable sportswear idea, but there's really nothing to recommend this for the win. The best of these outfits are just a little above pedestrian, and there are some real clunkers in here as well. Most of the clothing is nicely made, minus that one pair of white leather pants or whatever and the cheap-looking dress.

Collections 2 & 3 to come later. They are better. :)