Saturday, September 26, 2009

Project Runway Week Terrible.

I am on the verge of not caring. Seriously, Nicholas is gross, and Michael and Nina need to come back ASAP. I never thought the show would be so dependent on them!

Althea: It's okay. For me, it's pretty much the quintessential middle-of-the-road entry. The simplicity works for sure, but it's so... basic. And I'm not sure what white floppy blouses or big-ass necklaces have to do with film noir. It looks good from the front, but from the side, the fit is kind of terrible. Actually, the more I look at it, the worse it gets.

Carol Hannah: This was skanky, but super hot. It's an interesting interpretation for action-adventure; I could definitely see this outfit making an appearance in Tomb Raider or something. I don't know how flattering the various leather things are, but I love that belt and the way she handled the design.

Christopher: So... this was pretty much his avant-garde beachwear minorly reinterpreted. Part of me likes that it's an updated period piece, but it seems like he hardly put any effort into actually following the requirements of the challenge. It's gorgeously made though, and I still love his model (I don't bother to watch Models of the Runway any more, but I heard they all had to switch models this week? Boo).

Epperson: It's kind of hideous, but at the same time, part of me loves it. He definitely mixed his theme with a modern twist. I love that it's Western punk! That said, there's just too much frippery going on. I would have guessed this outfit was Carol Hannah's if I didn't know. That's not really a compliment from me, though she did well this week. I think I'd like it way better without the white stuff on the bottom. Still, I do like it. It's much more than the sum of its parts.

Gordana: What is this girl gonna have to do not to land in the bottom for virtually no reason? Yeah, it's not exactly creative, but it's really beautiful. This photo isn't particularly great, but I remember it sparkled on the runway. I thought it was really pretty and fun and definitely a period piece. The shoes suck for this and the gloves are probably the wrong color, but otherwise she accessorized it perfectly.

Irina: It's... okay. I think she created a character, but don't see how that giant white gauze hood is film noir, so it's the wrong character. I can't tell and don't remember if those cut-out things are fabric or skin. If it's skin, ewwwww. If it's fabric, well, it doesn't look that good.

Logan: It's very Matrix. Considering it's Logan and I know his execution can be kind of spotty, and this seems to be almost entirely leather, I think this is almost flawlessly made. The design is boring, though, but I do like the built-in boots.

Louise: This isn't so much film noir as period piece... how surprising, coming from Louise. I think the judges were right to put this in the bottom. It's a cute idea but it's extremely cheap-looking and kind of basic. Gordana's was similar, but worlds better.

Nicholas: You know I can't stand him, but this is hot. It's not my favorite, but I can't really argue with the win. The fabric looks cheap, as does the stuff around the neck, but he definitely created a character. Where he really nailed this is in the styling. I love this model, and she totally sold the outfit as well.

Ra'mon: I love him, and this is definitely science fiction, but frankly, it's a cheap-ass looking hot mess. It's a great fabric choice, but it just doesn't work. The collar and styling are great too, but it's just so bad. He should have been B2, for sure, but Louise should have gone. Hers was not only ugly and cheap-looking but boring, plus she had an easier genre and her portfolio isn't as good overall.

Shirin: Oh, Jesus. This is really... well... points for going all out, but it's a dumb-looking costume. The feather in the hair is KILLING me, and not in a good way.


Best to Worst:
Epperson
Gordana
Carol Hannah
Nicholas
Christopher
Logan
Irina
Althea
Shirin
Ra'mon
Louise