Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Project Runway: Season 6, Episode 1.

So, the Lifetime website is weird for me. On "Rate the Runway" I can only see one outfit. That said, if you go to the individual designers' pages and look at their portfolios, then "on the runway" or whatever, you can see the photos of the dresses on the runway.

Christopher: He was the winner and though I preferred a few others, I can't really argue with the judges' choice. It was a great dress and I would wear it in a hot second, not to mention it was extremely on-trend. You could see many, many, many people wearing it at the MTV Music Awards, which it was "designed" for. I did kind of agree with the judges that the soft material looked kind of dingy and dirty... maybe he should have gone for a light rose pink or something. Other than that, though, great.

Johnny: Most people are saying this didn't deserve to be top three, and I'm not sure if I agree with that. It was very much my taste (though I'd never wear it, because... where would I wear this dress to?!). It was an extremely flattering dress in a great color that moved beautifully. I didn't think the judges' ideas of changing the color or removing the trim worked, either. I loved it the way it was.

Louise: I can tell, based on nothing, that she will probably annoy me. Anyway, this dress is pretty good. It's in a great fabric and it's a great and flattering cut, but those saddlebags or whatever, combined with the fabric and color, make it look really weighty. If the dress had been... IDK... white cotton, without the saddlebags, and had the flowers in a different color (though just one color), it would have been among my favorites.

Irina: She had my favorite dress by MILES. I don't know why this wasn't top three. Divine doesn't even begin to describe it. It was gorgeous, it moved so beautifully, it was perfectly made, as is - with no changes - it would have rocked the Oscar red carpet better than Ra'mon's (which I liked too, but we'll get to that), and it looked SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than $200. Just gorgeous. I even liked the lame little ribbon, because it provided some much-needed contrast. I loved this dress!

Ari: Soooo glad she left. This outfit is a joke. It doesn't fit the challenge and it's really poorly made. That's about it.

Nicolas: I like this dress. Much like Christopher's, it would be absolutely perfect for the Video Music Awards, if not the Oscars. Also like Christopher's, it's basic with some interesting touches. And I like that his model's name is "Matar" because that's "to kill" in Spanish so she is probably a badass.

Mitchell: His name is Mitchell Hall. He looks like Michael C. Hall. I am really tempted to call him Dexter. Anyway, other than the fact that OMG HIS MODEL WAS KIND OF NAKED, this design was kind of... I don't know how to say it, exactly, but it had an edge. He deserved to be in the bottom, but I am glad he stayed, especially because I was pretty sure he was gonna be the one to go.

Shirin: I liked this dress. It wasn't top three worthy, but it was certainly cute. I loved the little... sleeve/hoodie trick or whatever it was. That said, looking at photos of it, it looks kind of cheap and I don't like the hem. But it's still cute.

Gordana: Another favorite dress. It struck me as really girly and pretty. I LOVED that structured thing at the bosom, though you need like zero boobage to wear that thing. Also, the color could have been a little bit... improved. It looked almost like a dirty blue. That said, I still really liked it. It's just a sweet dress.

Carol Hannah: This was extremely ugly and overdone. That's... about all I have to say.

Ra'mon: I really liked this dress. It had a real elegance. I agree that the color was safe, but it had enough interesting touches so that it didn't have to be some crazy color. Also, was the train just a big honking SQUARE of fabric? That's a no-no. But it was still a beautiful dress, and the details were impeccably made. I do think Irina's would have been the best dress to appear on a red carpet as is, but this dress was beautiful and appropriate too.

Logan: Ugly. Uuuuugly. It looks really cheap and wrinkly. The colors are dull, and there aren't enough details to make the dress interesting otherwise. I'm not sure I would have put him in the bottom three, but he would have been close. And I don't like the way his model was styled.

Malvin: He seems really pretentious and I didn't like his dress. It was both dull and overwrought.

Qristyl: She seems really awesome, to be honest, but her dress was not. I can see it being worn on the Emmys red carpet, but it was tacky, tacky, tacky. It was just so loud and shiny. I loved Lindsay Lohan's "uh, no" face when Qristyl said she had designed the dress with her in mind. That said, Michael Kors was practically having a conniption over the dress, when it really wasn't that bad. Not a strong entry, but I thought others were worse (the bottom two and LOGAN'S).

Epperson: I ADORED the top half... and ABHORRED the bottom half. The top half had so much drama and punch and it would have been perfect for the Oscar red carpet. The bottom half looked like a fugly, wrinkly mattress (look at the back of it, yeeeuuuch), it had that horrible... fringe... stuff... and it came down to a weird length. Plus, with the fabric color, it was a little too heavy. The top really was divine, though. It would have kept him out of the bottom for sure, for me.

Althea: Eh. It was a little too twee for me, with the color and the literal flowers and whatnot. Plus, the flowers reminded me of like... when fake flowers get dusty. They were ugly. I didn't really like this dress, but it was elegant, and not bottom three worthy for me.