Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Justine visits Australia


You'll notice I seem not all that excited for Australia, Baz Luhrmann's latest spectacular, spectacular. After all, I am batshit crazy for Moulin Rouge!. But, here's the thing. I didn't really like Strictly Ballroom. I didn't like Romeo + Juliet that much. Musicals just suit Baz's style. I mean, if your films are going to be insane, why not have them singing U2 and Elton John? Why not have them break into a can-can number and sing atop a giant elephant while the moon sings to them? I totally understand why people (my mom included, who normally has really good taste in movies) can hate Moulin Rouge!. But one of the things I like about it so much is that it's so willing to take chances and explode off the screen with its insanity. Australia...is a historical epic. Baz's films would be epic if they were about fixing toasters. Don't get me wrong; after Moulin Rouge!, I will go see anything Baz Luhrmann tells me to, especially if it stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. I just...wish I was more excited, that's all. (when November rolls around, though, I'll probably be screaming in antici...pation.)