Sunday, March 02, 2008

I love Oscar year-in-advance predictions...

...cuz seriously, the Cate Blanchett fanatics are reminding me why I don't like her. "She's totally winning in lead for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button!!!! It's right up Oscar's alley!" I can't say I've read the book? short story? but...it's David Fincher. Let's look at his films' track record with Oscar.

Alien 3 - Best Visual Effects nomination.
Se7en - Best Editing nomination.
The Game - nothing.
Fight Club - Best Sound Effects nomination.
Panic Room - nothing.
Zodiac - nothing.

Now, obviously, I'm not a psychic. The Curious Case... may be the first film that gets Fincher Oscar success, I don't know. But at this point, it's stupid to say that it's "right up Oscar's alley." Likewise, it's equally stupid to say Meryl Streep is a lock for a nomination or Kate Winslet will certainly get a double nod. We just don't know. And that's half the fun of the thing, not being like "OMG X MUST WIN!!!!!"